Friday, August 17, 2007

So far it's like a big tent

I spent my first night in Truckhouse last night. The only furnishing is the nice new piece of carpeting on the floor. I brought out an old camping air mattress, a blanket, a pillow, and a candle. I slept very well. It reminded me of camping. Being closer to the outdoors, I could hear all of the sounds of insects and wind. So it felt kinda like a big solid tent. I liked it.

(The pictures were taken yesterday.)

Camped out in the box with just the bare minimum gave me an epiphany. I'm not going to worry about electricity, running water, a toilet, a couch or whatever else right now. When I park in Philly I'm just going to see how it goes. When I feel like I really need something, I'll worry about it then. If something doesn't cause an instant pressing need, then great - I can do without it. I really can't picture getting involved with cutting a door in the side or installing solar panels and composting toilets just yet. I'm going to roll with what I have, which is a good shelter and a fine place to sleep. I even put a nice chair in there today.

I solved the problem of not being able to lock the roll-up door from the inside. I had designs of locking devices running through my head for a good long time before I realized I could just wedge a block of wood above the sliding door to keep anyone from being able to lift it. Sometimes the best solutions are wicked simple.

No comments: