Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Current situation

I found a good internet place. Bought a coffee, and I'm milking it for all it's worth. Apparently living out of a truck is deadly interesting to the media. ABC News, Philly Inquirer, the Bob and Sherri show, and Fark.com have picked up the whiff of it. Also about a dozen things I haven't called back. I feel like I don't have much to report. Truck House is pretty inhospitable when compared to about a thousand other vehicles decked out for living. And though I like myself pretty well, I don't have the crazy adventure experience of a thousand other folks. I've been sleeping in a truck, and spending time outside. There are a ton of people sleeping in vans and sailboats and on the beach. Now: me too.

My core desire at the moment is awesome parking. So if you're someone who knows someone on Key West who can provide that, please let me know. Seriously. There's tons of parking, and empty lots and unused driveways - but it's the kind of thing you have to clear with someone. I hope to hear from you. If you're down here, and want to hang out, call me. 610-324-6059. For real. Let's watch tv or stare at something. I'm not picky, and I'm not a jerk.

The sleeping has been going fine. There's traffic noise and all that, but it hasn't been too hot at all. It's nice down here. That said, my main concern is trying to weave myself into the fabric down here. I'm going through all the hoops to be a pedicab driver. If not for that situation on the horizon, and the hope of meeting some people, I'd be much worse. THAT said, I had another little anxiety attack yesterday. Those fuckers are getting pesky. All I can do is wait it out. I'm not complaining - I know I get that shit in a pretty mild dose. But in the interest of being thoroughly honest about this little adventure, I'm telling you how it is. When I pulled into the keys and stopped for breakfast on Key Largo I was in love. I said "love" out loud five times in a row. Real nerd-style. I was confident and all but singing. Actually, I was singing. Erykah Badu. I took off my shirt asap, and was punching the air. That's me. A total air puncher. Since then, the best I've felt is:
1) NOT having anxiety (observant, satisfied)
2) Drunk on Steele Reserve

I know full well that I need to find people and projects. I need missions and stuff to do. I think I'm going to start the pedicab job later today, which would be fantastic. I learned a lesson: don't let anxiety keep you from getting stuff done if at all possible. I should have had my ducks in a row within one day of being here. It took about three, and this morning I asked myself what that was all about. Then I responded with something like "that's how stuff rolls with me sometimes."

A lot of people criticized me on Fark.com for spending $5k on the truck. That's a pretty fair thing to point out. Too much. But it should be noted that it won't decrease in value very quickly, and I'll sell it when I'm done with it. Money's money. It's a pain sometimes, and we all just keep on living anyway.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Hey, Chris,
Heard you on Bob & Sheri this morning. I'm in the midst of trying to ditch the "stuff" and get on with a simpler life myself. So, with all sincerity, I found myself smiling while listening to the interview, thinking, "Yup, that's it." I'm tired of my stuff owning me . . . Good luck to you.

BobLoblaw said...

Anxiety attacks are no joke, I deal with them often and without Xanax I probably would've never made it through my speech class! Reading your blog I could totally relate to everything you were saying about anxiety, some people don't realize how difficult it is to do simple things when you have this disorder..I wish you good luck with Truck House, what you're doing is f*ckin awesome! :)

Steve said...

Hey,

It was good talking to you as well. Here's the link:

http://zazenliving.blogspot.com

Donna said...

Hey Chris,
I heard you on Bob and Sheri yesterday. I am always in awe of people who do as you are doing. Good luck to you!!
Dee