Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Updates

I got through Christmas and the New Year pretty well down here in Key West. I've had thoughts of moving, and still do, all the time. Before that occurs, I'm tying up some loose ends. Truck House has been sold on eBay. I'm getting $2000, and delivering it about 5 hours to the north tomorrow. I'll be the happy man with a secret drink on the Greyhound tomorrow.

I'm an outlaw. I had a fake police man banging on my van this morning. I wish he would have thought to just knock politely, and say "excuse me." But that's not how it goes. I was stupid for parking at Publix overnight, so I wasn't surprised. I just hid under my blanket while he shined his light around. I know he couldn't really tell anything, so when he went to his car, I slipped on some shorts and drove away. Just as happy not to say a word to anyone.

I thought about this later, and part of me deciding to live in a van is the same as the part of me that just likes to 'get away' with stuff. The same part that feels entitled to do whatever I want if it doesn't hurt anyone else. I don't like my van getting banged on at night, but I feel like I should be allowed to live in a van, so I do, and damn the consequences if someone doesn't like it. I wonder how long I will be living in the van. At this point, I really don't picture myself in an apartment. I like the van, and I don't even have it set up nearly as well as it will be, with electricity, skylight, roof vent, etc. Also, I'll have a bed that takes up less than 50% of the living area (I need to address that soon...). With all that - and complete mobility - and no apartment rent - and no foundation to tie me down: it might be awhile. It all hinges on good parking and my desire to keep on finding it. I look forward to leaving Key West and spending time in a National Forest parked in the woods by a fire reading a book. And going to Oregon when it's warm. And I most look forward to a long, long bicycle trip on my City Bike, which is getting a parts makeover very shortly.

I don't have much to report aside from my aspirations. Key West is a good place to be, but I work too many hours. It's getting pretty normal here, and I'm ready to go. But the Klopps might come down here, and I want to see that happen. Jennie said she'd visit, and I'd like to see that. (Jennie: if you read this, there's room for two in the van - I measured it.) Also coming up: more money from more tourism? A new job?

One more report. I finally got a camping stove that I really like. It's the $19.99 coleman propane one that you can get anywhere. It's too big for a bicycle trip, but it's really good for cooking in a van with the doors open. This changes my life for the better. I hope I'm cooking on this when I'm 50.

Current location: outside at Bubba's, where you can do laundry, get free wifi, and order food. I'm doing laundry. It's beautiful outside. My laptop and phone are now charged.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I've been checking this thing out for updates for a bit now. Good to hear that in the downtime things are well for you; it al sounds very exciting! If the Klopps make it down tell'em "Steve from critter" says "HI TWINS!". Also, If you hit the trails to oregon be sure to A) take pics of key west before you leave and B) take pics of anywhere else where you land. You might want them one day.

As for me I'm going walking (http://zazenliving.blogspot.com/2008/01/walking.html)