Thursday, August 9, 2007

The time is afoot

I've been talking about converting a box truck into an apartment for many months. I'm running out of reasons to put it off. First, I had to go on a huge bicycle adventure. Done. I have no apartment lease. Great! Now it's time to get to work. After a little bit of research, I've decided to buy a used diesel U-Haul with a 17 foot box. The 26 foot is a little roomier, but ultimately I decided on the 17 foot.
17 footer
26 foot beast

I feel more comfortable with the business part of the truck being an E-350 van vs. a huge TRUCK kinda truck. I've had a van. I'm comfortable with vans. Van it will be. Ultimately, I think the 17 foot box will be plenty of space for me, and I am attracted by the fact that it seems more "low key" parked in a city setting.

I've made a decision about what kind of truck to start with, but I still have a lot of work ahead of me. The first order of business is obviously to buy the truck. Next, I want to install a door on the side to use instead of the roll-up door on the back. The roll-up door can't be opened from the inside. That would be a problem. After installing a 'normal' door on the side, I'm going to need a toilet. I've decided the best option for this is the "Envirolet." It's expensive, but it's the toilet that will make living in a truck the most reasonable.

After those important initial needs are addressed, I will be able to live in the truck. But the work will be far from over at that point. The next order of business would be a window. Due to the urban setting, I picture a sliding window with burglar bars over it. Again, something that appears low-key is important. Maybe some windows similar to the ones used on horse trailers, or some campers - placed well above eye level.

With natural light added, I will begin to feel more comfortable. But I won't stop there. I want electricity. Two large solar panels charging a couple batteries should do the trick. I'm going to buy some kind of kit. Hopefully, that will provide more than enough power to run a small space heater. In winter, that will be very important. I could use a small portable propane heater in a pinch, but would prefer an electric space heater as the main unit.

I've glossed over furniture to talk about the important stuff. The truck has an overhang, or 'attic' over the cab. This shelf has plenty of space for a mattress and small nightstand or shelf. Directly under this will be my couch - whatever is free. The floor will be carpeted, because carpets are easy to get for free, and don't require serious installation. Shelving will all be done with milk crates stacked up and zip tied together. It doesn't get easier or more free than milk crates. Everything I own will be stored in them.

In addition to all those considerations, I need to find a small attractive way to cover the toilet from view. You know - in case I have guests. I'd also like to devise a way to get maximum ventilation by opening the entire rear roll-up door, but not allowing people to see my living space. White curtains, maybe? Wall of milk crates facing in?

What else do I need? A lamp, a small stereo, and a laptop would be nice. But nothing that takes up much space.

No comments: