Friday, August 10, 2007

afoot? No: purchased!

After doing a slight amount of further research, which means looking at eBay motors again, I decided to go down to the U-Haul location in Wilmington Delaware, and just get the truck that I wanted anyway. I test drove it for about a mile and asked who was in charge of lowering the price. It was listed for $5946, but I said I wouldn't be very interested unless it could come down to $5000. That price was obviously too easily agreeable. I thought it was a lowball offer, but I guess I'm still learning. I was picturing more arguing, adamant hand gestures, and finally a couple tears running down someone's face as they told me "ok... i suppose we can let her go for $5000." As I pulled back into the lot I said that I was aware that there were going to be processing fees and extra charges and such - and that I would 'prefer' that the total amount be $5000. So, that's some kind of bargaining, right? Well I got my price. $5000. First the guy had to make a call to confirm everything. He wrote some stuff on a piece of paper and pointed to the figure of $5267, which is what it would be after such and such plus 1.8% for using a credit card. I said "great - can we make that $5000?" Then another call - and $5000 it was.

The credit card swiper wasn't working at that location, so after some calls we went to the Chester Pennsylvania location down the road. It wasn't much easier there. After an hour and a half and a lot of tech support calls, I finally got rung up for $5000.

I should also mention that I asked my credit union for a car loan or a personal loan. With a 10+ year old vehicle and no verifiable income, neither is possible. But it is notable that their personal loan rate is 13.75%. Notable because I called my credit card company this morning and got my rate lowered to 11.99%. So that further justified an IMMEDIATE PURCHASE to me. So don't worry about accumulating debts - I'm gonna be livin' in a truck. Don't worry about what my parents think about the idea either. They fucking hate it.

No comments: