Sunday, November 4, 2007

pain in the ass walls, etc

I'd like to have some pictures for you, but right now I've just got words. Look how long since my last post. It has taken a long time to get some shit done. My current task is just to put up some insulation and some wood over it. I'm basically building a box within the box. I think I've mentioned that I'm not a carpenter. You should see this shit. I guess it'll probably be functional enough, but it's pretty rough and ugly. Since I don't know what the hell I'm doing, I just took some measurements to get rough ideas, and spent an asslot of money at Home Depot. If I could go back and start from scratch, I could do a much better job and probably make it much cheaper and prettier. As it is, I'm learning a lot from my mistakes, but I'm sticking with them for now.

I've lost a lot of space inside the box, building the ceiling pretty low to clear the roll-up door. My bunk area has gotten pretty short - don't know if that'll still work out. If not, I can store stuff up there or something. I still have to put the finishing touches on it, and take some pictures to show off, but the 'room' is basically done. I put the back wall behind the entrance door, which leaves a couple unfinished feet between the back wall and the roll-up door. That's the porch. I'm going to keep propane tanks and batteries on the porch. And probably my bike. The door to get in from the porch is probably just going to be a piece of wood that I move aside - a cheap trap door. With that setup, the truck will still look pretty stealth even when you look in the back door, or the RV entrance door.

I'm pretty much a sick obsessive human being. I don't mean it in a bad way, but I do mean it strongly and sincerely. I love myself as much as anyone could, but there is something wrong with how one single theme at a time completely takes over my life. Living in this truck is all I think about. Sometimes I think it will work, sometimes I think it will not. One thing that steels my reserve is all this reading I've been doing about others who have had success in their own stealth-vehicle-homes. I really want to make this work, and have a better simpler life. I'm very impressed with the website cheaprvliving.com - all of the buttons on the left lead to different stories, which all fascinate me. People are happy living in vans and cars and all sorts of setups - and this website tells their stories. It's also a great resource for finding good answers to how to equip your vehicle, and how to get around the logistics of the potty, electricity, entertainment, and what-have-you.

I'm going to paint the crap out of the ugly-ass interior of this room I built, and hopefully that will make it more awesome. I've re-decided on bright yellow. I'm going back and forth between pink and yellow, and yellow reflects more light. I don't want it to be dark and gloomy. It kinda is right now.

I got my bed from work last week. It's just what I was looking for - one of those fold-up cushion chairs that can be laid out to form a thick cushion 'mattress.' I also got a small but awesome basin sink and some really awesome waterproof winter boots that are made in Canada. They're well insulated, and they fit perfectly. The novelty of the junk removal business is starting to wear off - but it's easy, and I keep getting all this free shit that I need.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey, if you feel like coming out to the desert, you can use the parking lot at the bar where I work. I think it could be a good symbiotic relationship. We will let you park in our parking lot and you can advertise the various happenings at the bar. You might even be able to do some odd jobs around the neighborhood. If this is something that interests you, get in touch with me at Foon85@aol.com
The Meet Rack, the bar where I work in Tucson, AZ is one of the most unique bars in the country, we have been featured in the New York Daily News, the Arizona Daily Star, Maxim Magazine, Oui Magazine, the Tucson Weekly, and many more. I think this would be a great place for you to generate more publicity for your cause. I hope this is some food for thought.

Best Wishes,

George