Friday, December 21, 2007

1990 GMC Vandura conversion van

I'm sitting in my new van. I made an offer, which was subsequently accepted, for a van on eBay. As I've stated, a van will fill my needs much better than Truck House, and make much more sense overall. As I have not yet stated, but would like to now: this van is awesome. It's a 1990 GMC Vandura conversion van outfitted with the "Explorer" package. The 'Explorer' part is just a description of which company decked out the interior. The van has 91,000-some miles, and drives dreamily. It's quiet, rolls smooth on the highway, is very clean and makes me very happy. It has a CB radio.

After wiring funds for the van on Tuesday, I left yesterday in a rented car on a one-way trip to the St. Petersburg-Clearwater airport. There I met the seller, Don, who took me to my purchase. We gawked and squawked for a few minutes, starting it up and opening the doors and closing them - then he signed over the title. Since I want to register it in Pennsylvania, and this is Florida, and it was already 6pm, I had no tag - temporary or otherwise. I decided to roll without one, and I'm about 50 miles from Key West now where I'll deposit the van in a safe location until a proper tag can arrive. I had a long drive and very little sleep at the point of purchase, and left in my new car pre-exhausted for a night of fun.

Within a couple hours, traveling approximately nowhere due to a couple stops, I parked at a Wal-Mart. I was happy and delirious. I went into Wal-Mart to look for something to use as a curtain (maybe a curtain), and ended up with a reflective windshield shade, a long skinny sandwich, and a 4 pack of tall Miller High Life. It took at least 30 minutes to round up these items. The back of the van (license plate end) was parked into some shrubs, so I thought I was safe for the night. Windshield cover in place, curtains closed and clipped tight, I called it a night. I drank 2.5 of the beers and accomplished the sandwich before passing out. I was pretty well hidden, but a security guard busybody had me beat. Around 3am I got a knock on the side door from a police officer who was looking for clues. I kept my bottom half in my sleeping bag, and answered the door. He asked a few things that I can still remember.
"Have you been drinking?"
- "yes"
"Well I can see it and smell it" (gotcha!)

This exchange amused me. I already admitted it, and he continued with his line anyway. At this point, he wanted to know about the no-plate thing. I told him that I just bought it hours ago, and I pulled over because I couldn't keep my eyes open. I showed him the title and bill of sale. Then he had to take some notes. I liked this exchange.
"Eyes... blue"
- "Blue"
"Tattoo of a turtle on your stomach"
- "yup"

All noted on the police-work tablet. He told me where to get a temporary tag (which would have been the smart thing to do), and he told me about the ordinance against sleeping in vehicles, (but I could sit in the driver's seat). He said not to drive, or something-something consequences. Then he left. When I judged that he'd been gone for about one minute, I got the hell out of there and parked behind a church. Best sleep ever.

After some driving this morning, I went to Waffle House, and on the way out some radio DJs from some show called me. I don't know who or what show, and I wouldn't have answered the call if I knew I'd be on the air, etc. These were the first DJs who were real dull-normal jackasses. Real proponents of the 9-5 work week and having money to buy things to make you happy. I was slightly successful at setting the record straight at a few points, but they were persistently boring and unimaginative. They were pretty mediocre humans. They're the kind of guys who might run over your cat, then trivialize it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How much did you pay for it? I bought one two years ago, but no longer need it. It is in great shape with low miles too. Any idea of a price range I should ask? Julie