Saturday, December 15, 2007

S'not all great

All these posts seem really happy. And I've captured some great moments for myself here. At the heart of it all - my heart - I'm still homesick a lot. Or just looking for another change. I'm not completely wild about the job, and I'm not so wild about the truck either. I've had some great moments, but I have a tendency to screw it up by thinking about what could be better. A van would truly make more sense for me. The interior of Truck House has a huge amount of wasted space. These pedicabs are so mechanically beat that it boggles the mind. This is my complaining post to balance out the ones that make it seem like everything is 100% peachy-awesome. I'm thinking about several things. Hobostripper (aka Tara) who I respect and find to be wise, said if you're not happy, move the fuck on. I'd like to see San Francisco and Portland. I think that feels important. I'm definitely switching to a van, but don't know when. Money rules my mind, and I keep hearing "keep the bike, keep the bike" - the pedicab - because in a week, we'll all be making money. This gives me comfort. But I'm still apprehensive. I'm still parking in my a-list spot, hoping nobody notices or cares. I kinda just want to see how that plays out, cause there is NO other spot on this island 1/10th as good.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

The fact that you live in a truck makes picking up and moving easy as possible. Take off for Portland, or for San Francisco. If you're not happy in Key West, there's no point in staying.

Word of advice from someone whos spent time in Portland: Buy a cheap raincoat. It's easier than riding a bike with an umbrella, and trust me, it's going to rain.

Anyways, keep up the life man, people are listening. I know I am. You aren't the only one with this idea, but every person who actually does it makes it easier for the next.

Calvin & Loretta said...

I'll agree with Chris and Hobostripper. You have wheels under your life for a reason.

I just came here from Hobostripper's blog. She's very cool, so I followed her links. Listen to her; she carries a lot of wisdom.

Calvin & Loretta said...

Okay, so I went back and read all the posts. "A huge amount of wasted space" would bring envy to many vehicle dwellers. Having lived in a car a couple of times, but not being in the travel trailer yet, I share that envy. I did learn that if I ever do a box truck, I want the windows in before putting in insulation or an interior wall.

On second thought, maybe sitting still will bring you more perspective. You can't know your own rhythm with moving along yet; that comes after a couple of moves. Please remember that you can't make a wrong decision on this. Any way it goes is all part of your adventure.

Calvin

Unknown said...

I agree with Chris, but I would recommend getting an expensive raincoat (and rain pants and some kind of waterproof footwear as well). I have been living in a van for 18 months and my most prized possessions are my sturdy, waterproof outerwear. They keep me warm and dry as well as helping me fly under the radar because I look less like a street drunk (and thus less noticeable to law enforcement) than if I was just making do with lower quality outerwear.

duvald said...

Key West is my favorite place in the world. I have to admire you because you are living out my dream. Remember, Key West has a tourist based economy and more is to be made during the peak seasons. If the bike thing isnt working, there are usually several other tourist related ways to make a buck.

Also, be cautious about parking only in one spot. Its best to move to a different one each day so you will avoid complaints which WILL lead to hassles from the police there. Best of luck.

Chris Harne said...

Thanks for the comments. Way to go on pointing out two of my future desired locations: Portland, San Francisco. Also, as mentioned, Key West has a tourism-based economy. Peak season starts right after Christmas, and there is no way I'm going to miss out on these very high-paying days. I've come this far, and I want it to pay off. After I see what this "peak season" is all about, I'll either split or stay for more. I move the van daily. Which is great, because it is so much easier to move and find parking with a van than a box truck. I can put it almost anywhere. A box truck took much more planning.
Chris