Monday, December 10, 2007

Outrageous aspects

Key West has a huge population of stray cats and roosters. Roosters are literally all over the place just strutting around and making noise. The population of wild homeless folks is also very high. This is the capital of being homeless with flair. There are a lot of drifter-performers and outlandish drunks. There are at least a few ever-present known-drunk-Santas. One is a jerk on a cruiser. I'm developing a shouting relationship with several recognized characters with whom pointless warm greetings are exchanged. In a town with no enforced open beverage laws it turns into a real scene. Key West also has some highly outrageous bicycles. The number of asinine cruisers per capita is way up. Tall-tall handlebars are everywhere. Paint schemes and rust cover bikes on every block. I commented on one, and the paint was reportedly done by Captain Outrageous, who was running for mayor some years ago. Guys in box trucks are cool, but they won't ever make the front page of The Citizen. I met a guy who blows glass in a van. He said he needs to get some gear first, but he'll show me how to blow some pipes - it's easy. He said I'd see him out on the street. I have, and I will. He sells glass, and his friends do various hippie street performer stuff.

3 comments:

PAYNTERinFLORIDA said...

Just wait until Fantasy Fest---you ain't see nothing yet...

Cannonade said...

Chris I really enjoy reading your blog. I'm heading to Florida(from Pennsylvania ^-^) next week for a month or two, if I make it down to Key West from Ft. Lauderdale I'll be sure to look you up!

J said...

Chhhrriiissss. I discovered your site via ran prieur and have spent the last 45 mins reading through. You're great! Truly an inspiration. A few questions that will help me out:

how old are you? are you a college grad? did you see college as beneficial to what you're doing right now?

as this surely is not it I look forward to more posts in the future!!!