Monday, December 10, 2007

Sleeps, peeps and trucks

I'm at the library again. I can tell about a few things. The day before yesterday, I was parked in a great spot and had the roll up door open and I was cooking and having a good time before work. I did a radio interview again - for CBS radio? - and got to tell them I was having a great time and looking out at the water and cooking. That was really nice. I did another radio interview - don and mike? - about 20 mins later. I think that's it for the media. The interviews are pretty damn fun though. I feel like I get to set people straight about some silly points about the way things are and the stuff people need. I get to say how I'm out at 3am taking buck naked showers at the beach, and other fairly random stuff.

So the next morning I was still parked at the hot spot, and Truck House wouldn't start. I had to get towed to Stock Island, just across the bridge. For some reason this didn't even bother me. Typically I'd get all bent up about it, but I didn't feel a thing. I was headed over there anyway to get a safety check when the truck wouldn't start. The 'wrecker' (tow truck for trucks) dropped Truck House off pretty close to the road, US-1. I decided to pack up what I thought I needed and see if I could spend a night without Truck House. After work, I stayed up drinking three tall beers at the beach slowly, and continued to screw around on my bike and at Waffle House until after the sun came up. Eventually I just went to the truck and tried to sleep. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I got zero sleep. The truck was still parked right next to the road, and trucks were whizzing by. Eventually I just got up and tried to manage. By the time work rolled around I was pretty deprived of sanity. I was just thinking everything was funny, and doing a lot of laughing. I didn't work very hard, and I even fell asleep in the back of the cab for a half hour down by the pier. I ran into Seth again, and he suggested we get key lime pie and french fries at a place where he gets half off. At this point, I was ready to throw in the towel. Pies and fries was perfect. We talked about things ideas and places, and I got some perspective. Seth said "Isn't it funny they don't get it at all and we're sitting here having key lime pie in paradise?" I'd told him all this wasn't completely easy for me, but I also agreed completely. Definitely a good guy.

I went from there to a hotel pool. Then I headed for the Truck feeling clean and cold. The Truck was still in the same spot. I slept fine though, since I got about zero hours last night. I woke up to the sound of the hood getting popped open. I got dressed and got out and told them I sleep in the truck. They thought that was pretty normal. I think the battery just died, but I'm waiting for the final report on that and the rattling that the engine does.

Last night my friend Mateos from Brazil (and from work) told me to hold the back of his moped and get pulled with my bike. We went for a little bit, and I said "I can ride faster than this!" He said let's race, and I think he got a kick out of opening the moped all the way up with me still rolling about 5 feet behind. I'm always trying to race a moped on the city bike.

1 comment:

John said...

Heya, I'm really envying the life you're living right now. Maybe a few years down the road I'll be able to take a crack at it. I just wanted to say thanks for throwing your story online, I love reading it.